Wednesday 24 October 2012

pomegranate power smoothie

"An early... what?" asks my brain. No, I am certainly not an early bird. My body starts functioning at around 10.30 a.m. - not a minute sooner. I have tried and tried and tried. It's true that sunrises are pretty, but sunsets are just as lovely.




The problem being a night owl is not having an appetite in the morning. In fact, I hate breakfast (if I am supposed to have it before 10.30 a.m.). I find it hard to swallow anything since my body is telling me "Hey, why are you eating, you should be sleeping! Go back to bed!"
However, I am forcing myself to get up at a decent hour even on the days I don't have to go to work and I have discovered that smoothies are just my way to start the day. As with all my cooking, I hardly follow recipes, but mix together whatever  I find in my fruit bowl or the fridge.

This morning I made a smoothie consisting of my favourite fruits: pomegranate and blackberries.
It is difficult to say the exact measurements, but I eyeballed  the quantities for you. Here we go:



Ingredients: 

1 small, ripe pomegranate
1 handfull of fresh blackberries
1/4 cup of rolled oats
1/4 (60) cup of almond milk
2/3 (150 ml) cup of skimmed milk (or a little less)

Cut the pomegranate in half, then break it open and peel off the seeds. Throw away all of the yellow tissue, it's very bitter. Put the seeds in the blender. Wash the blackberries and add them as well as the rolled oats to the seeds. Pour in the milk and the almond milk (the one I buy is very sweet, so no need for sugar). You can play with the quantities of your milk. Add a little less if you like a thick smootie (I do.) Put the lid on and press: on. I love the purplish colour! Now, that's a breakfast I enjoy. Hope you do, too! Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement.



No comments:

Post a Comment